Tuesday, December 12, 2006

James Kim

Maybe you heard about James Kim, the man who got stuck with his family on a road in Oregon for 2 weeks. His wife and two kids were saved but he went out to try and find help and was later found dead from hypothermia.
I used to work with James at TechTV and even though we were not close, the story really got to me.
There's been a lot of debate in the online forums about whether what he did was right or wrong and I will now chime in and say that I believe what he did was right. he had been stuck for seven days when he set out. Imagine having two young children and no knowledge if people were looking for you or would be able to find you. I think as a father, he had to go and unfortunately, that decision cost him his life.
A lot of emails went around a little thing we have called the TechTV alumni list and a lot of his former co-workers expressed a lot of nice sentiments about James and my two cents was that I respect and admire James for trying to save his family.
I hope no one ever has to make such a decision again and I hope that if nothing else, his family can take solace in the fact that James did the right thing and should be remembered for that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home