Thursday, September 07, 2006

and toss to the website...

With the passing of the torch from Bob Schieffer to Katie Couric on the CBS Evening News, an era ends. The era of the hard guy news anchor who I not only want to tell me my news, but I want to follow into combat.
God speed Peter Jennings.
I miss you Ted Koppel.
I remember watching you too for three straight days when the US invaded Kuwait in 1991. I sat on the couch and you gave me the updates, the analysis or what was going on and made me feel proud, scared, and confident all at the same time, struggling to understand everything that was going on and at stake in the Gulf.
What happened Dan Rather?
Where'd you go Tom Brokaw?
I listened to you try and make sense out of what was happened on September 11 and though you misled me on where Flight 93 crashed, you more than made up for it by keeping calm and giving me the information to deal with the chaos.
Yes we still have Anderson Cooper and Bob Costas, but Bob Schieffer, who more than did the job replacing Dan Rather by handling the days news with a simple style that never dumbed it down but never got snarky, was the last of the breed. A newsman who I believe and want to keep up with current events via the networks.
Now Ms. Couric seems to be a fine person. She did the job on the Today show. Perky, fun, seemingly intelligent. Great. I cant say I had real high hopes for her taking over the news what with all the talk of the lush new sets and the digitally enhanced promotional pictures of the new anchor, but jeez....
Not only does Katie talk so slow a newborn would ask her to speed it up, nut what's with the web tosses? Want more info, go to the website. I dig it. But it seemed like every third story, go to the website. Pick my signoff by...going to the website. Learn more about the new set by...going to the website. See video from our story by...you guessed it. So CBS news has a website....give me one more story.
and while your at it. I don't care what Rush Limbaugh or Morgan Spurlock think about the war on terror or the first amendment or anything else for that matter. An editorial, fine. Oooh a celebrity with an opinion. No thank you. Its not news and there's plenty more for y'all to tell me.
Peter Jennings must be rolling over in his grave..and you can see video and read more about that at our website.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home