Monday, May 21, 2007

Free Willy!

This last week two whales swam from the ocean and went up the Sacramento River.
Since then, I have learned more about whales than I ever cared to know.
Male and Female whales respond differently to whale sounds!
Whales can go without eating for weeks!
A mother whale is very protective of its calf!
Yee-haw!
This story has been the lead on so many newscasts and front pages I can't believe it.
I'm not saying its not newsworthy, it is, but is it worth the resources of every news helicopter floating overhead so any move by the whales can be caught on film to break into regularly scheduled programming?
The whales have crossed under the Rio Vista bridge three times today!
Poor Tony Libertini hanging out all week along the Sacramento Delta. Not since Tiny Potts got embedded with Larry Birkhead have I pitied a reporter so.
I think this is a story one AP reporter fresh out of college could handle and throw onto the wire at the end of the day for everyone to pick up. Seriously this is block c, page 13 kind of news, not a live breaking coverage with your best sat truck story.
I have no idea what's going on in Iraq or who is going to be our next President but I sure can tell you the last time a whale got stuck in the Delta, his name was Humphrey and it was 1985.
I miss hearing derelicts on the street complain about the price of gas.
Good times.

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I also learned that whales are stupid and have no sense of direction.
You don't see monkeys gettin' caught in the ocean!
I like monkeys!

1:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home